UHS Build 15128 - July 2018
This is primarily a technical upgrade build to reflect the hotfixes that were pushed out since the last build. We did a new Premium feature, Assign All to All-Star Team, which should greatly speed up the population of all-star team rosters for Premium leagues.
The plan is to go back to releasing small builds (like this one) each month as time and health permit. I am planning on doing a full roster update of all NHL teams either in August or September as roster movements should be relatively settled by the time pre-season comes around.
Assign All to All-Star Team
've added a function that will assign the top 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goaltenders to an all-star team. This button will only be visible if the team has no players assigned to it as it will grab the top 20 players and assign them. This function is available for Premium leagues only.
We've also added a Remove All button to quickly remove all assigned players from an All-Star team.
Bug Fixes & Miscellaneous Changes
Fixed multiple issues re: responsiveness and new site design code.
OMG too many. Thanks for your patience!
UHS Build 15003 - June 2018
Huge update! While it may not look like as big of a change from when UHS went 'dark', the fact that we've touched every single page to make it responsive and made our data queries more efficient means that, even behind-the-scenes, this is a huge change. I'm surprised it ONLY took a little over two months to do. I was envisioning it taking a full year like UHS Dark did. I'm probably going to be taking a break from development for a while; it will give you time to get used to things.
Finally we can use UHS on pretty much any device! For a time I was looking at creating an app, however, there were some technical limitations that were going to be a pretty big deal to handle. So, instead, we went with something we were more familiar with, especially since we just made the public sites responsive.
So basically every single page / screen you use in UHS has been redesigned to be "responsive", which means that it will work on pretty much any device (phone, tablet, pc, etc). We create the page ONCE, not have 3-10 different versions for each device or screen size (that would be a nightmare to design and even maintain).
In some cases on a PC, the page will look a little barebones: this is intentional. When designing for responsiveness, you need to design for the smallest screen and then expand outwards to larger screens. There are a few cases were things are going to look a little crammed for small screens but we think we've done a pretty good job at getting things condensed.
Navigation Menu Changes
You will notice that some things have been moved around. We did this to try to group similar items together, which in some cases meant completely destroying an old sub-menu. The biggest changes will be to the COM+ menus: many items from the old Settings menu were redistributed to Manage and a new COM Actions menu was created to handle more of the day-to-day items.
General Menu options: All users will have access to the UHS, News, League and Statistics menus. You will find your account settings at UHS > My Account. General information will be found under League and seasonal statistics can be found under Statistics. We've broken out the Schedule, Career Stats, Record Book options from Stats Central as well as added Awards, Champions, Drafts and Hall of Fame.
COM/Owner options: You will find Play Games (once you are in Pre-Season and have a schedule), COM Actions, Manage and Tools appear after the General Menu options. Under COM Actions you'll find your typical day-to-day activity tools and lookups. This is where you'll conduct your draft, assign awards and perform roster validations. Manage is more meant to be an area where you manage your league's players, account, coaches, logos, teams, etc. This is also where the Settings sub-menu can be found. Tools are more functional pages like Advance Season, Game Deletion, Reset League and Save Points.
GM options: all your options will appear after the General Menu options under the Team sub-menu. From here you will be find anything and everything for your team: Drafts, Finances, Media, Personnel, Rosters, Stats and Trade Central.
UHS now uses the standardized timezones that are available in PHP. As a result of this change all timezones have been defaulted back to America/Los_Angeles. If you are in a different timezone, you will need to update it once you have logged in.
One of the larger changes you'll notice is the Draft page. For COMs this is found at COM Actions > Draft > Conduct Draft. For GMs this is found at Team > Draft > Entry Draft (yes, even for inaugural drafts). We've implemented some ajax into the page so once the draft is running it will automatically update every time a draft pick is selected. When it's your pick you'll be presented with selection options.
The page will also show the last 10 selections. This is intentional to keep the data load small for each automatic refresh. If you need to see a full list of who was selected you can find that in Statistics > Drafts.
Autoset Draft Order
The draft order for Season 2+ will now be automatically set based on the previous season. The Championship team will pick last. Playoff teams will then be ranked in order of their regular season standings. The remaining non-playoff teams will then also be ranked in order of their regular season standings with the worst team picking first. COMs can change the order afterwards if they so desire.
Most folks will notice pretty much right away that their Personnel page no longer contains the list of possible actions for each player. This also applies to COMs' manage team pages. You will now need to go view the player's or coach's profile in order to do an action with them (movements, contract offers, etc). The reason for this is pretty simple: We couldn't fit all the necessary information on the screen due to responsiveness.
All-Star Skills Competition Changes
We made a few minor changes to two competitions:
- The Accuracy shooting competition now has players shooting to hit 10 targets instead of 4.
- The Hardest Slapshot competition now has a maximum of 110mph (previously it was 106). The NHL hardest shot record is 108.5, so we thought we'd like to go a little above that and see how things shook out.
Lawyer Usage Changes
Lawyers are now an unlimited use option for GMs. Each time the GM uses the lawyer they will be charged the Appeal Fee regardless of whether it is successful or not. If an appeal is successful, the player's suspension will be halved (rounded down). The team can make repeated attempts (and pay the fees) to completely clear out a player's suspension.
Default Lawyer Settings
We've changed the default settings a bit to make lawyers more affordable. Overall, fees will be going up, however, purchase prices and maintenance fees for the higher end lawyers will be going down. These changes only affect new leagues or leagues being reset. The changes are:
- Student: Fee increased to $100k (from $50k).
- Assistant: Fee increased to $400k (from $100k).
- Paralegals: They've all been fired! This option is gone!
- Solicitor: Cost decreased to $9m (from $15m), Maintenance decreased to $2.25m (from $4m), Fee increased to $900k (from $250k).
- Partner: Cost decreased to $16m (from $25m), Maintenance decreased to $4m (from $8m), Fee increased to $1.6m (from $500k).
- Law Firm: Cost decreased to $25m (from $50m), Maintenance decreased to $6.25m (from $50m), Fee increased to $2.5m (from $1m).
We're bringing Medical in line with how Lawyers are set up, in fact, they use the same options by default, just with different names than their Lawyer counterparts. The biggest change you'll notice here is that we're no longer doing Medical Staff and Facilities as separate options. Instead you will pick your practitioner and use your Medical staff the same as you would your lawyer. Each time your medical check is successful, the player's games missed due to injury is reduced by half (rounded down).
Default Medical Settings
With the removal of medical facilities, we've used some of the names we used to have for medical staff. The default options are (Name, Cost, Maint / season, Fees / use, chance of success:
- Student ($1m, $0.25m/s, $100k, 10%)
- Intern ($4m, $1m/s, $400k, 25%)
- Nurse ($9m, $2.25m/s, $900k, 50%)
- Doctor ($16m, $4m/s, $1.6m, 75%)
- EMH ($25m, $6.25m/s, $2.5m, 100%)
Young players will now have a chance to grow. Players aged 16 to 20 will have a chance to increase their height at the end of a season when their skills rerate. At age 16, players will have a 50% chance to grow an inch (they also have a chance to grow 2 or even 3 inches). Players aged 17 to 20 will have a steadily decreasing chance to grow an inch.
UHS IM Disabled
The UHS IM has been removed for various reasons. We could, in the future, implement a private messaging system, however, we need to tread carefully to ensure that we are GDPR compliant and determine how that impacts the rest of the site.
Bug Fixes & Miscellaneous Changes
- PubSites - Standings fixed columns (the team names) will no longer be fixed. This is an issue with dataTables. Once they fix the extra scrollbar problem, we will re-implement fixed columns on league standings.
- Makeweight Creation - GMs are no longer able to create makeweights. If a GM needs a player they will be able to get a Makeweight (if desired) from the COM or Owner.
- Marketing bonus revenue is now always double the revenue earned for that game.
- Career Injuries are now a toggle instead of a variable number. When enabled there will be a 1 in 1000 chance that an injury will be 'career ending'. By default this is enabled for all leagues.
- The Mercy Effect has been removed from the game. Teams will play full tilt regardless of the goal differential. I may put this back in at a future date but it will be more of tweak to performance vs. a toggled setting.
- Scouting settings have been moved into the Draft settings page. You will be able to Manage Scouting options in the manage menu (like Lawyers, Players, Coaches, etc).
- AutoGMs will now be processed in the league's Entry Draft Order instead of randomly. For Season 1 Off-Season the order will be swapped back and forth depending on the state of the league's inaugural draft. Overall, AutoGM draft selections should happen much faster (1 round / minute).
- Makeweight creation will now create Forwards instead of Centers or Wingers.
- A bunch of reports have been moved from being COM only to the League > Reports sub-menu.
- Teams now have most of their public data available in a League > Teams sub-menu that very closely mimics the version that is available through Public Sites.
- Most tables that would need sortable columns now have dataTables implemented. If there is a table of information you would like to be able to sort, please let us know and we'll see if we can use dataTables for it.
- Users can now delete their own accounts. Released as hotfix on May 18 2018.
- League Owners can now delete their leagues. Released as hotfix on May 18 2018.
- Fixed an issue where Away Teams winning by Shoot-outs were not getting their SOW stat incremented correctly. Released as hotfix on Jun 6 2018.
- Fixed an issue where some leagues could not have medal games (Bronze, Silver/Gold) created. Released as hotfix on Jun 23 2018.
UHS Build 12529 - May 2018
It's been a bit since the last build release. This one required a lot of work around savepoint management as we needed to be able to make a full copy / backup of a league before allowing you to actually copy another person's league. That's right, you can now copy another person's league (with their permission, of course). We also had to update the site to be GDPR compliant. That was fun. We've also added Pro Team Rivalries, assigning players to a team on creation and allowing you to supply a list of names for player creation.
GDPR & Email Changes
The EU's deadline for GDPR compliance is May 25 and is approaching quickly. We've made some changes to comply with the new regulations concerning information and email governance and control.
- All accounts will be automatically set to require users to either opt in or opt out of system emails. You will not be able to use UHS until this is done.
- You must agree to receive emails from UHS otherwise you will not receive Trade Notification emails even if you opted in to those.
- Users will be able to delete their Real Name and Email from the system in the Account Preferences section.
- If you delete your email and then forget your password, your account is going to be irrecoverable. I highly recommend you do not do this.
League Idle Warnings
The danger here is that with the new GDPR regulations, we potentially have a scenario where all users have opted out of receiving system emails, so no one will receive the automatically generated League Idle Warning email. Leagues will still be deleted regardless of whether anyone has opted in to receive such warning emails or not.
New Account Creation Changes
Due to the GDPR compliance changes, all new accounts will no longer automatically email the user their username and password. Instead, the user that creates the account, typically the Owner or COM in the case of GM accounts (or GMs in the case of creating Assistant GM accounts), will now be shown a username and automatically generated password that they must give the new user personally.
The new user can then log in, set their email preferences and change their password as desired.
Premium Leagues that have a paid subscription (ie. not Trial Premium leagues) have the ability to allow any other league (Premium or not) to make a copy of it. A code will be generated by the origin league to be used in the new Tools > Copy Code page.
When creating the code, the owner has the option of it being just a base copy or a full copy that includes statistics and league history. With just a base copy, the destination league (the league using and entering the code) will be reset back to Season 1 Off-Season, however, with a full copy, the destination league will start off at whatever stage the origin league is at, complete with any games already played.
A code may only be used once and will expire after 24 hours if not used.
Copying a league will not copy the league's Premium status, nor will it copy the origin's member information (that would be a pretty big privacy issue right there). Other than that, all data will be copied, including the origin league's player faces.
As with all data handling, we highly recommend creating a SavePoint before using a CopyCode.
Save Point Changes
We changed some things behind the scenes as it was necessary to allow League Copying to get developed. When creating a SavePoint, your league's player faces will be included in the SavePoint file. When loading a different SavePoint, the current face files will be deleted and replaced with the face files from the SavePoint being loaded. Additionally, when performing a League Reset, all face files will be deleted.
Face files cannot be recovered once deleted, so keeping them backed up through SavePoints will be more important than ever.
Additionally, all SavePoints will now be compressed to help save us disk space on the server. Testing has shown there is a marginal increase in SavePoint saving & loading, so you really shouldn't notice anything drastic.
Leagues can now set rivalries between teams. There is no impact on player performance, however, it does trigger an automatically successful bonus marketing revenue check. If either team is a rival of the other, the home team will receive extra money from the Bonus Marketing category.
Rivalries are only applicable to pro teams. During the Off-Season, the COM can edit a pro team to select another pro team it has a rivalry with. Marketing percentages can be modified in the Settings -> Game Settings page.
Assigning Created Players to Teams
When creating players, COMs will now be able to select which UHS Team the created player will get assigned to. There are some things you should keep in mind when selecting a team for assignment:
- Salaries / Contracts will use the League's Minimum Salary & Contract unless you are using the NHL Player / Team import. NHL Players assigned to teams will use pre-generated salaries at a 1-year contract.
- Creating mass amount of players will not check the player type and team assignment. It will be possible to create 50 junior players and assign them to a pro team.
List of Names for Player Creation
We've rearranged the Add Players tools temporarily (until we go do a full site re-design), adding a new option to mass player creation: List of Names. You can now supply a list of player names and, optionally, their countries of origin when creating 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, or 500 players. The list will be used in the order that you have supplied and once it has run out, random names and countries will be selected (as usual) for the remainder of player creation.
All entries must be separated by a semi-colon. For example: Sydney Crosby, Canada; Alex Ovechkin, Russia;
If you opt to not supply a country, you can do both Sydney Crosby; Alex Ovechkin, ; Both formats are acceptable.
Bug Fixes & Miscellaneous Changes
- Compare Teams will now have an additional "Overall" category at the bottom of the comparisons.
- Fixed an issue where player skill classes were not always being modified when a player was being trained. Hotfix: Jan.29 2018.
- Fixed an issue where some new leagues were not being created with the goaltender timer and differential settings. Hotfix: Feb.1 2018.
- Fixed an issue where Auto-setting a shoot-out list was resulting in errors. Hotfix: Feb.4 2018.
- Updated the AutoGM trade logic to make unusable players detract from the value of the trade. Hotfix: Feb.20 2018.
- Fixed an issue where the Leadership Bonus was being based on the pro team's maximum games played instead of their current games played. Hotfix: Mar.3 2018.
- Fixed an issue where the Leadership Bonus was only being applied to players that played 50% of the pro team's maximum games played instead of 25%. Player must still be considered "pro", having more pro games than farm or junior. Hotfix: Mar.3 2018.
- Fixed an issue where Tournament-style All-Star schedules would stop being created after the round of 8. Hotfix: Mar.16 2018.
- Fixed an issue where the COM's Ticket Price alert was directing leagues to our test system. Hotfix: Apr.11 2018.
- Fixed an issue where unassigned junior players were being placed in free agency in standard leagues. This issue resulted in system slow downs. Free Agents may only be 21+ in standard leagues. Hotfix: Apr.12 2018.
- Junior teams will no longer automatically create replacement players to fill incomplete rosters if the league is still in the Off-Season. Once the league advances to the Pre-Season (and beyond), junior team rosters will be set and players created if necessary. Hotfix: Apr.15 2018.
- Fixed an issue where deleting a lawyer option would instead delete a corresponding medical facility. Hotfix: Apr.27 2018.
- Fixed an issue affecting some leagues saving scouting cost options. Hotfix: Apr.27 2018.
UHS Build 12374 - January 2018
I hope your 2018 has started out well! Welcome to the first build release of the year. With BlizzCon and the holiday season we got a bit busy to add new developments to the system and were instead focused on keeping NHL rosters updated daily and putting out bug fixes where needed.
This build focuses mainly on adding in some extra Coach functionality (Losing the Room, Age Rerates, Permission Request limits) and a new Playoff Option: new Two-Game Total-Goal series. We've modified the MoveTeam functionality so that Pro, Farm and Junior teams can be moved individually instead having it go only through the Pro team.
Two-Game Total-Goals Playoff Series
We have built in the very old school 2-games Total-Goals series: you know, the ones the NHL used pre-Original Six. Selecting this series length will create a home-and-home series where the "home-ice advantage" team will be playing at home first. The visiting team in Game 1 will be the home team for Game 2.
These are the only playoff games that can end in a tie. At the end of Game 2, if the SERIES / AGGREGATE score is tied, we will use whatever OT method the COM has set to decide the series.
Coach Age Rerates
Coaches will now rerate based on the number of seasons they have coached in leagues that are using Age-Rerates. All coaches have a base rerate chance of 20% to increase and 20% to decrease. For each season they coach in (during the regular season), they will get a +1% to their increase chance and +0.20% to their decrease chance. The percentages are applied against each skill individually.
Coaches "Losing the Room"
We have added in checks to see if a coach will "lose the room". For some reason or another a coach can yell and scream, reward and incentivize as much as they want: the players just do not respond. The coach is dead in the water.
In UHS, we are going to look at losing streaks. Specifically Regulation Losses. OT and Shoot-out Losses will not count to the losing streak check when the coach loses the room. For every loss past their 5th-in-a-row, there is a 5% chance the coach will lose the room. A team that is on a 10-game losing streak will have a 25% chance for the coach to lose the room.
When losing the room, the coach is simply marked as "Disgruntled". You can no longer re-sign him (except once he's back on free agency), he provides negative modifiers to player skills during games and will provide a pretty severe rerate penalty (age rerate leagues only) for all players on that team. Once they've lost the room, you need to buy them out and find someone new.
Only games in the current regular season and only for the team the coach is currently coaching will be checked. Losses while coaching other teams in the same regular season will not count at all.
Farm Coach Permission Requests
Teams will now have a limited number of Permission Requests to use on Farm Coaches through-out a season. By default, GMs will have 3 permission requests to use during the season. Once the league changes from Play-Offs to Off-Season, the number of permission requests will be reset back to 0.
AutoGM Prospect Training
AutoGMs will now train their junior prospects provided the league allows training. Player skills are weighted in favour of scoring related characteristics. A random characteristic will be chosen and the highest overall skilled player that isn't already maxed out for that characteristic will be selected for training for that particular point. AutoGMs will also cheat by being allowed to train a player for a given characteristic more than once in a season.
Play-Off Over-Time Options
Going forward, Leagues will no longer be able to have playoff games end in a tie. The options for "Sudden Death OT - 1 period then tie" and "No OT or Shoot-Out" have been removed. Any league that had these options selected will be defaulted to the "Sudden Death OT - 1st goal wins" option.
2-Game Total Series are the exception to this rule as games can end in a Tie. OT for these types of series will only happen in Game 2 and only if the aggregate score is tied.
Move Team Changes
COMs will now have the Move Team option for all Pro, Farm and Junior teams. COMs will need to move the Pro and Farm team separately, one after the other, the order of the move does not matter.
The "Move Arena" option previously included in the move functionality has been removed and needs to be handled as a separate action by the COM.
There will be an option to charge the Pro team a moving cost if the moving team is either Pro or Farm.
Disgruntled Coaches & Rerate Penalties (Hotfix: Jan.17 2018)
Having a disgruntled coach will now apply a -50% penalty for rerates for Age Rerate Leagues only. The penalty is applied to the Increase % to bring it to 0%. Anything remaining from the penalty is then applied to the Decrease % to raise it.
Previously, the only penalty for keeping a disgruntled coach on your farm team was a severe penalty to game performances, which is REALLY bad for Stat Rerate Leagues but pretty much meaningless for Age Rerate Leagues.
Bug Fixes & Miscellaneous Changes
- Fixed an issue where Deflected Shots on goal could also result in a "whiffed" shot, creating an awkward play-by-play situation.
- Public Sites: Team Names in the League Finances & Power pages will now link to the Team's Home Page.
- Public Sites: Added responsiveness to Championship Series results. Teams in this will also now link to the Team's Home Page.
- Public Sites: New "Cups" option in the Record Book to show number of Championships a team has won.
- Public Sites: the schedule page will no longer show games that are Not Needed from playoff series.
- Fixed an issue where new offers could sometimes not be allowed for other team's farm coaches. Hotfix: Oct.13 2017.
- Fixed an issue where the presence of All-Star teams were preventing Relegation Leagues from advancing past the Off-Season. Hotfix: Oct.26 2017.
- Fixed an issue where OTW, OTL, SOW and SOL were not being considered when updating a Team's streak in Live Games. Hotfix: Nov.15 2017.
- Fixed an issue where players having played no games would be considered pro and have the leadership bonus applied to their Rerate Increase change (default Age rerate system only) and ignored the 50% pro GP rule. Thanks for pointing this out David. :) Hotfix: Dec.22 2017.
- Fixed an issue where players with maximum rating in a skill (9) could rerate down even though they were supposed to rerate up. Applied to Age-Rerate leagues only. Hotfix: Jan.1 2018.
- Fixed an issue where future team draft picks were not being created for Season + 3. Hotfix: Jan.1 2018.
- Fixed an issue where GMs would have an option to move players to the Juniors even if they were beyond the Farm Skill threshold. Hotfix: Jan.5 2018.
- Fixed an issue where coach ownership was not being transferred to the new team when a team was moving. Hotfix: Jan.5 2018.
- Fixed an issue where the *FARM* text tag was not appearing for Farm Coaches under Available Coaches. Hotfix: Jan.17 2018.
- Fixed an issue where the incorrect message was being displayed for a coach's scouting report when logged into UHS. Hotfix: Jan.18 2018.
- Fixed an issue where a player signed as a RFA was showing the old team name when the old team accepted compensation. Hotfix: Jan.19 2018.